CLICK HERE TO Shop For Your Pageant on Amazon

Shop Budget Friendly Interview Outfits for Jr. Teen, Teen, Miss & up

Shop Budget Friendly Interview Outfits for Little Girls

SHOP PERFECT PAGEANT LOOKS!

NAM state finalist overcoming challenges to reach her goals....

Last week we wrapped up out Pageant Prep Training sessions for our Illinois pageant. During our training session, I had to pleasure of meeting a super cool girl - Devin Davis.

Devin, who is a State Finalist in our Teen division this year in our Illinois pageant, coming up Labor Day Weekend in St. Charles, is such an awesome girl and doesn't let the fact that she comes loaded with a set a wheels stop her! So, when I came across this article (on www.mysuburunlife.com) I knew I had to share it with the rest of the NAM community.....as Devin defines what the NAM motto, being "today's girl, a girl with dreams" is all about!
Click the LINK above to see the full article or read below, but warning: you will be inspired! =)



_____________________________________


Devin Davis, 19, was diagnosed with mitochondrial myopathy as a 1-year-old, a rare muscle disorder that confined her to a wheelchair. This March, while in the hospital with pneumonia, Davis was given a new diagnosis — Myasthenia Syndrome — and along with it, “the hope I have always wanted,” she said. “The hope to one day walk.”

In July she was selected as a finalist for the National American Miss Illinois pageant, which will take place Sept. 3 and 4 in St. Charles.

In what ways has the new diagnosis given you hope? What are things you want to

do that now appear possible?

With my new diagnoses of Myasthenia Syndrome Dok 7 there are medicines that can help me become stronger. I would like to be able to walk without a walker, drive, be more independent in my daily living activities, be able to be off my respiratory machines longer and obtain a job in communication and broadcasting so as to be a role model for today’s youth.

It has been with the help of family and friends, the entire town of Elmhurst, my Messiah Lutheran Church Family, Easter Seals DuPage and ECAF that I have been able to receive not only the medical services and medical equipment necessary (to keep) me alive and stable but also for believing in me every step of the way. Without all of these wonderful people, I would not be here today living my dreams and being able to make a difference in this world.

What tasks does the disorder make difficult for you? How do you overcome those challenges?
The more active I am, the more fatigued I feel at the end of the day. Although I am stronger, it is still difficult for me to raise my arms above my head, to walk more then 60 steps and working a full 40-hour work week is difficult. I stay positive that with ongoing physical therapy and the right medication I will continue to strengthen my muscles, making each task easier over time.

What about yourself do you think impressed the judges during your Miss Illinois open call?
The courage to pursue my dreams despite being physically challenged, my upbeat and positive personality, my interview skills and my ability to make people feel comfortable around me.

What do you think other teens can learn from your story?
That despite the challenges you may face in life, if you have a strong mindset, positive attitude and a solid support system you can achieve any goal or dream you wish to fulfill.

What do you think other people with disabilities can learn from your story?
Although we live in a society that may be hard to maneuver around in as a physically challenged person, just because one door is slammed does not mean another one can’t be opened with enough determination and power of positive thinking.

What causes would you like to advocate for, if you win the pageant?
There are two main causes. First, inclusion of disabled individuals in society in every aspect. Second, bullying in schools and judging peers based on outer appearance and stereotyping them versus getting to know them from the inside out.